Sunday 10 January 2010

One creature's leftovers is another one's gain

The cat is losing her appetite. Since yesterday she has eaten a mouthful here and there. The result is a lot of leftover chicken bits.

Last night as I was washing up I saw a flash of fox streak across from outside my kitchen window. It ran one way and then the other. The cat used to run after a fox. A fox would sniff out my pot plants at the front of the house not realising that the door is half open and the cat is sitting on the mat.

The cat would immediately go into hunting stance. Then boom! Straight out and after the fox. The fox would startle, I would scream. The fox would stop running, turn around and realise this tiny puffed up ten times smaller than him/her is the creature he or she is running away from.

The fox would pounce. The cat would back away, turn and flee.

I'm running towards her ready to scoop her up to safety. The cat sees me, veers away, veers past my body and off away down the other end of the courtyard. The fox pursues, I follow screaming like a banshee on speed. The cat doubles back and veers in a semi circular movement past me again, across people's front lawns and dives through the opening of my front door. She doesn't stop until she gets to my bedroom.

Such shenanigans used to happen regularly this time last year. This time last year, she was just a cat. Now she has her own blog to count the days until...

I've decided to leave her leftovers outside by my garden pots. I hope the fox returns. I hope he or she likes chicken.

Tomorrow the cat has her next chemo session. No. 3 part 2.

16 comments:

Nicola Morgan said...

Hello! I have come over from my blog party. I was delighted to see you over there and to see that you found me so soon after starting your blog. Hope you enjoy your OU course and have lots of success.

Are you on Twitter? It's a great place to meet aspiring writers. If you follow me there at @nicolamorgan I'll show you around

Best wishes, nicola

fairyhedgehog said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog.

This post is very sad. Poor cat. I've had two cats before our current ones and it was very sad when the last one got ill with a thyroid problem.

Ours are just out of the kitten stage so I'm posting fewer pictures about them. When we first got them they took over my blog!

Old Kitty said...

Hi Nicola

Oh I will try twitter soon. It's too scary! LOL!

Thanks for visiting and I'm really enjoying your blog birthday bash -

I've just read your New Year Inspiration piece - amazing.

x

Old Kitty said...

Thanks for your kind words about the cat, fairyhedgehog

The pics of your cats are an absolute joy. So, so, so adorable!

I can't believe they're from the same litter? Wow.

Take care

Drifter said...

Poor cat. I know what you're going through. My 17 yr old cat went to the great cat box in the sky three years ago. I'd had him from six weeks old and I still miss him.

Have been trying to work out who you were on YWO??

fairyhedgehog said...

Thanks, Kitty :)

Old Kitty said...

Hi Welshcake

My "book" came under the title of "matthew's return".

:-)

Old Kitty said...

You're welcome fairyhedgehog!

x

SF said...

Hello! Thanks for your comment on my blog. My own cat died when she was 17. I too was 17 at the time and sad to see my life-long companion go. Bereft, in fact!
They are tenacious creatures.

Old Kitty said...

Hi SF

Thanks for visiting my blog and I'm really sorry about your cat.

Oh these wonderful creatures do break your heart don't they? But you are so right about cats being tenacious. They're just fab!

x


Thanks for visiting my site.

x

catdownunder said...

Hello, thankyou for coming to visit on my blog too.
We lost our last cat at the great age of almost 21. I still miss him dreadfully but we will not have another. It really is not safe - my elderly father could easily trip over a cat and, apart from injuring himself, he would be terribly upset if he hurt an animal.
Please give your cat a paw pat from me!

Old Kitty said...

Hi Catdownunder

The cat says thank you very much for my paw pat!

:-)

And 21 is an amazing age!

Take care

x

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I'm just now getting over here, so many new blogs to visit, so little time! I like yours, I added myself as a follower. I look forward to reading more posts and best of luck with the blogging and the writing!

Old Kitty said...

Hi KarenG

Thanks so much for visiting! After reading your latest blog piece, you've inspired me to add one of my other fave Terry Pratchett quotes in my blog - so thank you!

I look forward to reading more of your blog - it's amazing!

x

fairyhedgehog said...

I love that quote.

Old Kitty said...

Hi fairyhedgehog

I couldn't agree more!

x